Saturday, July 25, 2009

Kogi BBQ

Finally, we are able to visit the twitter sensation that is Kogi BBQ. The Kogi truck Verde with Jay taking orders made its way to the Queen Mary in Long Beach, and an impromptu visit was in order. As we arrived in line, we noticed a couple other potential bloggers taking pictures, the biggest of which was Kayte from About.com. Also making her rounds was Kogi's demographic analysis person (will have to apologize, forgot your name!). The line stood still for 30 minutes while we awaited a health inspector to conduct his business. All things a go, the line started moving quickly. The aroma of Korean BBQ sauce filtered through the air. So what did we eat?
Kim chi quesadillas
Interesting taste. Kim chi and cheese in a tortilla, don't forget the rooster sauce! My wife's favorite by far, for me it was maybe just a tad too eclectic. I am not a big kim chi fan, so I would prefer a good old chicken quesadilla from El Torito.
2 Spicy Pork tacos and 2 Short Rib tacos
Now these were more my cup of tea. Kim chi and ordered meat in 2 small tortillas, and again don't forget the rooster sauce! Perfectly cooked dish, however again, the Korean and Mexican mix just didn't send my palate into ecstasy; it was a little much on the kim chi for my tastes. Not bad, but I would much prefer the Adobada tacos from Ensenada's King taco anyday. Add a bottled water and the cost for the night was just under 16 dollars.

Overall, this was a good experience and I do recommend trying the Kogi BBQ truck at least once, for the atmosphere and to try food you have never tried before. However, if I am to go again, I would not order the same thing ... maybe the sliders next visit? Taking suggestions for the next visit.

The good: Atmosphere, diverse patrons
The bad: just too much kim chi in the dishes for me
Overall: if you love kim chi, you will definitely love Kogi BBQ.

P.S. New digital camera in use, Olympus Stylus 1050 SW. Will be reviewing this after one month's use.
P.P.S. To all my friends, you don't see this often, but here's me in my dorky pose!Say Buh bye to the Queen Mary at night!

No comments:

Post a Comment