Friday, April 8, 2011

#1 Pho - Rancho Cucamoga, Really #1?

Wife was craving Pho, so out we go, to try another area Pho joint.
On the recommendation of a fellow IE foodie (Nate-dogg), we set out pining for Pho.

My usual disclaimer, I put so much Hoisin and Rooster Sauce in pho, it tastes almost all the same to me.

This place is in a strip mall located across from a Wabi Sabi (Teppan-yaki), next to Manila Sunset (Pinay food), close to Omaha Jacks, and others. Plenty of parking is about.
We came in on a Friday afternoon around 4:30, and were wowed that the place had a pre-dinner crowd there. Not just teenie boppers after school either, there were actual small families also there at this time. Of note, they have 2 big screens here! in a relatively small place with max capacity of 62.

Food? where is the food? Ok, I'll give ya the down-low on the grub.

Wife and I had:
Beef Pho - um #2 on the menu. Smallish bowl compared to other places (you can pay more for a larger bowl), but it was loaded with beef (yay!) and onions (boo!).

Fried Egg Rolls - These were pretty good, crispy without being burnt, but the sweet sauce was a little light. Those of you who want a special sauce, head out to Garden Grove. Of course comparing Vietnamese food in Rancho to ones in Garden Grove is like comparing Korean food in Rowland Heights with that in K-town.
I had #56 I think? It was the beef, shrimp pate in fried bean curd, and egg roll over vermicelli. The vegetables were a little strange in that half tasted pickled and the other half did not. The rest of it, I enjoyed thoroughly.


Total Bill including tax and generous tip was 27 dollars, a little steep for Pho and we only had 2.5 egg rolls left to take home.

I would say overall this place deserves a 3.5 on taste, but the amount of beef in that Pho, I bump it up to 4 star status. Give it a try!

1 comment: